Wednesday, July 4, 2018

John York – John York Plays Dylan




John York – John York Plays Dylan

Eclectic Music Festival, South Pasadena Public Library, Carnegie Stage, South Pasadena – April 28th, 2018

(with bonus tracks)

Not available in stores

1. Intro by Host (1:04)
2. Intro by John York (1:00)
3. The Times They Are A-Changin' (3:07)
4. Like A Rolling Stone (6:39)
5. Blowin' In The Wind (3:12)
6. All I Really Want To Do (3:32)
7. Masters Of War (4:56)
8. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (3:00)
9. Love Minus Zero - No Limit (4:12)
10. Subterranean Homesick Blues (2:31)
11. My Back Pages (3:49)
12. Chimes Of Freedom (4:45)
13. Mr. Tambourine Man (7:20)
14. Maggie's Farm (5:06)

Bonus tracks

15. Highway 61 Revisited (with Billy Darnell and Chad Watson) (Altadena 2011) (4:55)
16. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (with Billy Darnell) (Altadena 2010) (5:26)
17. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (with Billy Darnell) (Altadena 2010) (4:18)
18. When I Paint My Masterpiece (with Billy Darnell) (Altadena 2010) (5:02)
19. I Am A Lonesome Hobo (with Patrick Brayer) (Kulak's Woodshed 2003) (4:49)
20. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Allentown 1985) (4:32)
21. My Back Pages (Claremont 1999) (4:18)
22.
You Ain't Going Nowhere (with Gene Clark) (Allentown 1985) (4:05)

Artwork Included (front, back)

8 comments:

Rocking--Byrd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

I'm a little surprised that people actually went to this concert. John York is not exactly a household name, nor is he an outstanding artist or, even less, a composer ('I don't write them, I just sing them'). But as an ex-Byrd who appears on three albums he is at least interesting to Byrds fans, especially those who prefer the latter Byrds to the original group. Personally, I wish he had been able to stay in that lineup as he was more attuned to the group's sound than Skip Battin, although both were excellent bassists. He also played with Gene Clark and Skip Battin and more or less became part of the Byrds extended family. As a Byrd York apparently wanted to do more than just the old Byrds songs, and in part lost his job because of it. Ironically, he stayed pretty much within the Byrds canon after that, even doing a pure Dylan concert. In this Pasadena concert it's just him and a 12-string amplified acoustic guitar, and he does a good job with Dylan songs from the 60s and early 70s. Despite his youthful desire to branch out, he plays it pretty safe here, sticking with early material which has been done by many other groups. He sings pretty well, though at around 70 years old his voice is a little rough. That's not bad on Dylan songs. I liked York when he was with the Byrds, and the one time I saw this lineup he was McGuinn's alternate lead singer. His high harmonies didn't sound as pretty as Crosby's, though his lead singing was quite competent. It's a pity the only recorded song with him singing lead was 'Fido' from Ballad of Easy Rider, and it was pretty much of a throwaway song. York seems more like a team player than a solo artist, but as I said, he's quite listenable here. The bonus tracks are also nice and pretty much in the same vein as the solo tracks. John York may be a footnote in history of the Byrds, but he did add a lot to a group that was in the process of reforming, and for that reason alone he is worth listening to. Thanks for an interesting up load, R--B.

dino said...

Great stuff!
Thanks a million RB!

paolo said...

Really interesting! Thank You RB

Rocking--Byrd said...

"Less c composer", "I don't write them; I just sing them"? John York isn't that kind of guy at all. I have 7 CDs by him, and out of a total of 87 songs, he wrote or co-wrote 78 of them.

Rocking--Byrd said...

And he co-wrote (with Gene Clark and/or Pat Robinson) 5 out of the 12 songs on the CRY CD.

Steve said...

OK, I stand corrected. What I meant was that he wasn't a commercially successful composer, although with 7 CDs I guess he did have an audience. As for the quote ' I don't write them, I just sing them,' that came from one of his comments between songs. In any case, I like hearing what he's done, as it's impossible to get anything from him from where I live.

Rocking--Byrd said...

https://www8.zippyshare.com/v/RtZKT6T2/file.html