Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Gene Clark & Pat Robinson - We All Need Love




To ease the pain caused by the pandemic, I think the time has come to share some unreleased recordings done by Gene Clark with Pat Robinson in the mid-eighties.

Both of them have left us but their music will never die.

Did you ever dream of watching and hearing Gene Clark and Pat Robinson writing new songs? Well, imagine you are now in Pat Robinson’s Silvery Moon recording studio, sitting in the boot and, in front of you, Gene and Pat are working on a new song…

Now let the tape start rolling and hit that “record” button…

Gene Clark with Pat Robinson – We All Need Love

Writing CD #4 - track #3

Duration = 4 min 40 sec

In 2011, Pat Robinson wrote about this song:

“We All Need love”… with Geno 1986…could’ve been a big record for CRY…if we would’ve gotten into the studios…between tours…which is what we tried to do…sometimes successfully, sometimes not…

More to come…

6 comments:

david said...

A good friend of mine purchased a large number of these tapes a few years back, when they were being sold off by Robinson's estate. I had the privilege of getting to listen to them , with him, in an all day listening session. While they are fascinating to hear, there's really not a lot there of substance. A lot of goofing around, and trying stuff out. Interesting to hear, once, but that's about it. There was one really cool old Irish folk song Gene was messing with that was a standout from all the other stuff, but that was really about it. I know that another well known collector also bought a number of these tapes : I assume the content is probably about the same. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the stuff he did with Robinson, but that's just my take.

Rocking--Byrd said...

Thanks David.

In 2011, Pat Robinson sent me 8 CDs full of unreleased / rehearsals tracks by various artists he was working with (Gene Clark, Goldie and Bearheart, Jane Getz (Mother Hen), Timothy Beckerman, Johnny Rivers and more...).

There are 2 hours 30 min by Gene Clark. I will post the tracks only if there's interest showed (through comments and amount of downloads).

david said...

RB, that's pretty cool ! Yours probably have a lot more "in progress " songs, that were on the tapes I got to hear, which were unedited, and somewhat of a mess. I think basically they just turned on the recorders and taped everything that was going on. I'll for sure download whatever you put up. Can never have enough Gene Clark.

Rocking--Byrd said...

David, I wrote "Now let the tape start rolling and hit that “record” button…"

And that's what they did...

Kevin Lockley said...

This is wonderful to have new Gene Clark material of any sort. The Gene Clark songs really stand out above the Robinson stuff for me .Dragon's Eye and
Washington Square ,My Marie I think are really strong .Thank you for posting
but any chance of a different link as its hard to access Zippyshare in the U.K
Best wishes to all Byrd fans all over the world Kevin

Steve said...

Interesting work in progress. Did this song ever get recorded? I know almost nothing about Gene's work with Pat Robinson and later with John York as well (CRY), so this was a nice little treat. I wouldn't mind at all hearing any others. Thanks.